Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Divine Providence-Stones of Remembrance


Feet, tired from week's teaching, did not relish the idea of waiting behind lines of families, eager to lavish mothers with elegant dinners, potted flowers, and homemade cards.

Where do two single people, geographically orphaned, meet to explore new friendship on eatery's busiest day of the year?

~Lord, this man's persistence can't be in your perfect planning...I gave this up, remember?  

After diligent seeking, car finally finds parking stall, irritatingly distant from agreed meeting place. Poor, tired feet would have to spend more time pounding pavement to reach destination.

Why did I consent to meet him here, on such a day as this? ~ Lord, I like him, but what about us? and hope's child still residing in homestudy's process?

Warm smile, gentle blue eyes, interrupts thoughts, and surprisingly, heart skips beat as car door opens exhuberantly.

"Wow, can you believe these crowds? I'm so glad you decided to go to lunch with me after church this morning. I forgot how lonely it can be without family around. The chinese restaurant across the street doesn't have as long a wait. What do you think? You like Chinese?"

When praying, at first I had thought Chinese. I envisioned beautiful black-haired children with dark, crescent eyes, and pale moon faces.

Doctor's appointment changed all that.

"Yes. I like Chinese."

 smile.....

Feet elated,  smiling hostess immediately finds enclosed seats next to window.




Booths are so much better for talking....


~Lord, should I tell him about the child?



Story sharing of long single years forms bond. Easy conversation is punctuated in turn by laughter and grimacing. Hours speed by as glistening blue eyes look deep into soul, slowly unearthing long buried dreams of romance and hope. Hand instinctively reaches out....

~But what about the child? 


Remembered voices still chorus, crescendoing in unison, from well-meaning individuals, threatening to drown out soft, warm voice of new found attachment.

 "You'll never get married if you bring a child into the picture.."

"It's hard enough these days to find a man who is willing to commit to a woman of your age."

" Adopting would definently be resigning yourself to a life.....

                                             ....alone".
                                             

"So what about you? You ever seriously thought about wanting to settle down?"


~God, is this a test? The happiest time in my life was that day in the doctor's office. You spoke to me while I was reading the article about the plight of the orphans in the Russian baby homes. I knew without a doubt, what You had called me to do.


If she has been given the gift of living as a single person, she must be willing to do so, prepare to do so, and look for the work in Lord’s vineyard that doubtless He has for her. She must not dread the future, looking at it apprehensively, but must recognize that the Lord never calls His children without providing them the help that they need to accomplish His will and the ability to be happy in doing it.

                                                           ~Jay E. Adams


Quick intake of breath, and answer comes.... without reservation.


"Yes...funny that you should mention settling down. Though it's very scary to do this alone, God is currently leading me through a Russian adoption process, and I'm halfway through the homestudy. I got to the point that 40 years of living for myself was long enough...


 Words tumble forth into late afternoon silence of emptied room. Confidence in Divine Providence calms beating heart. Like Abraham... sacrifices must be made. God's promises will not go unheeded...and love will triumph in the end.









For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
                                                  ~ Jeremiah 29:11



Thank You Father not letting me have to parent alone...
For sending the perfect father for my two boys.....

And a loving husband for me.


I will praise you and build a monument. Words of stone, that commemorate your Divine Providence, formed before the foundation of the world, directing the affairs of men (and mothers to be) with wise benevolence. In your sovereignty, all plans are yours....and they are good....


Always Seeking Higher Ground,

Nora

No comments:

Post a Comment