Tuesday, August 31, 2010

God's Weaving~Stones of Remembrance













"Time is the most undefinable yet paradoxical of things; the past is gone, the future is not come, and the present becomes the past even while we attempt to define it, and, like the flash of lightning, at once exists and expires..."
        ~Charles Caleb Colton


Six and a half years ago ago my eldest son entered my life. Just a toddler, he came to us from a Russian Baby Home and broke my heart and soul wide open.

         And today that son has turned Nine years old!






I praise God for giving me this son. God has used him in my life in ways he'll never know, and though he was not woven and knit in my womb, he is eternally and intrinsically woven together with me. His transformation cannot be separated from my transformation. He has challenged and changed me in ways I had been able to avoid most my life.

           But after he came, I couldn't avoid them any longer.












Being his mother has pushed me into character I had been content to live without.






There are many reasons why I love him.

As I look into his sometimes smiling, sometimes sullen face,

I am a reminded of those reasons

and they are marvelous!










   We are connected in ways deeper than blood, he and I. 
  Part of God's royalty, us two. Two of kind;
Both of us growing wild,

undergoing transformation...






as we are grafted into God's family tree

through adoption.


And you, being a wild olive, were grafted in among them and became partaker with them of the rich root of the olive tree...They also, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again.
           ~Romans 11:17, 23   






For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, "Abba! Father!"
       ~Romans 8:14,15











I love you, my son.

Your creativity, your passion, your brilliance,
your deepness, your overdeveloped sense of survival
and your hesitancy to trust,
have been planted smack dab in the middle

of my dry, barren ground. 

May your roots cling to me as my soil clings to you.


                  

     And together may we grow, and become a memorial to our Lord.

                                                        
                    The first planting in the Almighty's garden.



Happy Birthday




Lord, let me live this short season that I have with my son to the fullest. Keep me strong, selfless, and filled with Your grace and mercy. Help my children know without a doubt that my love for them is true, though imperfect. Pour out Your Spirit on my offspring, making them steadfast as trees firmly planted by Your flowing stream. Let them grow up to be fed by Your water...the water of Life so they don't thirst after unrighteousness, and temporary pleasures. Call them out of the world to be claimed as Your own, wholly devoted to You.

I will pour my Spirit upon your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants. They shall spring up among the grass like willows by flowing streams. This one will say, 'I am the LORD’s,' another will call on the name of Jacob, and another will write on his hand, 'The LORD’s,' and name himself by the name of Israel.

        ~Isaiah 44:3b-5






Always Seeking Higher Ground,

Nora

2 comments:

  1. Nora,

    This post is beautiful! I know of what you right as being a mom has also (IS also) pushed me into character I had been content to live without!

    ReplyDelete