Sunday, March 7, 2010

Hard Thoughts and Parenting

Something that God and I have in common is, we have children who are "a stubborn people". I need to let go of this set idea of parenting perfection, and realize that my children belong to God.

He gave them to me and will use every aspect of my human parenting to raise them, even my sin. He will use my victories and my failures to shape my children into who He desires them to be, for the sake of His kingdom.

We have adopted our culture's belief that we are the primary shapers of our children and who they are and what they will become.
         ~Leslie Leyland Fields

Instead of parenting successfully, I need to ask am I parenting faithfully?


Do I consistently expect my children to demonstrate spiritual maturity? Even after my children make a decision to make Christ Lord of their life, will I continue to hound them over their sin, expecting immediate and visible transformation? Like me, my children are born into sin and are dead in their sin until they turn to God and repent. Spiritual transformation occurs through the Holy Spirit over time. Our transformation into the image of Christ goes on as long as we have breath...until our bodies have been renewed and we "see Him as He is." (1 John 3:2)


This releases me from the panic that I have a deadline to produce spiritually complete human beings.


It also frees me up to do the job that God has really given me...to show my children how to trust their sinful natures to the workings of the Holy Spirit, and the beauty of God's love in that...


Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.
          ~Romans 8:1-2



Listening to C. J. Mahaney's Sermons on Jude reminds me that I must be careful. Due to my intense longing for my children to accept themselves as sinful creatures who need a redemptive God, I must not overly focus on their sin, imparting an inaccurate view of God's love that could hinder their relationship with He who loves them.


C.J. spoke on the great theologian John Owen and his despondant struggle for five long years concerning the assurance of God's love for him. C.J emphasizes the importance of an accurate view of God the Father and the "hard thoughts about God."

After his revealing from God, of the His glorious loving kindness and grace bestowed upon those who are "called"( Jude 1:1) John Owen spent the rest of his life trying to consistently instill a proper view of a gracious and loving Father in order to help Christians banish those hard thoughts of an angry, distant God and replace them with the wonder and joy of His Grace for us sinners.


“I have interacted with many Christians over the years who are not certain of God’s love for them. They can be reluctant to admit it, but they aren’t convinced in their heart and mind that God loves them. In light of their sin and the holiness of God they wonder whether God does indeed love them.”
             ~C.J. Mahaney

When I fail to appreciate the Father's initiating love and complete forgiveness of my sins I may pass on through my communication and example this idea of an angry, distant, unloving God which may hinder my children from knowing that God who does rightly expect their obedience and submission—a bar they cannot possibly reach—is also a God that loves them as a Father; so deeply that He sent His son to die for them.

It is imperative that I know for certain my Heavenly Father's loving disposition towards me in order to pass a proper view onto my children. If they do not see God as capable of loving them, as sinners, they may hesitate to hold communion with the Father, they will be prone to legalism, condemnation and despair instead of a life of victory. Their life could be characterized by the complete absence of joy (Mahaney) According to Jude 1:1 He has called us, He has summoned us,...

                              as His Beloved!


May mercy, peace, and love be multiplied to you. To those who are called, beloved in God the Father and kept for Jesus Christ...

       ~Jude 1:1

The greatest sorrow and burden you can lay upon the Father, the greatest unkindness you can do to Him is not to believe that He loves you.
                ~John Owen


Your honest confession of your sin to your children will protect them from having hard thoughts about you or God.
                ~C.J. Mahaney


Father God, even in my weakness I am living out before my children the most essential truth of our lives: all of us are in severe need of this glorious and merciful Savior.

I cannot be Jesus to my children, I can only need Jesus. 





Here’s what we should learn: If we want our children to hear the gospel from us, they must see the gospel's impact upon us. How we live before them powerfully preaches the gospel and its implications for our lives.

           ~Jim Elliff and Steve Burchett


Joining Ann @ Holy Experience and the rest of the Gratitude Community by continuing the counting of multitudes of blessings, and being ever so grateful. Keeping a List of a 1000 Gifts that paves a way to a life of thankfulness.


121.) sermons on the ipod

122.) coffee at StarBucks with good friends

123.) baby showers for little girls

124.) a needed day at home instead of working

125.) bonding with a sick son

126.) increased hours at husband's work

127.) Spring and new life

128.) warm mornings, which means no frost fans going off in the middle of the night

129.) sister who is going to be a grandma...again!

130.) inspirational blogs

131.) lessons learned from my children






holy experience






Always Seeking Higher Ground,

Nora

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful reminder!

    I really liked this quote:
    "I cannot be Jesus to my children, I can only need Jesus."
    Love it! It is my desire. It is so hard though to show our children just how much we NEED Jesus as our savior. So many days spent trying to look tough so they don't steam roll you, and then needing to turn around and say "Hey look, mom is sucking it up too and needs to say sorry for her sinful behavior."

    Now if only we can let all the truths we have gleaned sink in. Grace for our children and grace for ourselves. What a fine line we walk...

    ReplyDelete