There is so much that goes unnoticed during the dark, short days of winter. So much that cannot be ignored...
once illuminated.
Once again it is time for Spring cleaning.
This year, it has become clear that my home wasn't the only thing that took on an extra layer of gunk during the dark winter months.
My attitudes, my heart... my soul has an extra layer of dust and dirt. I realize cleaning out closets and vacuuming under furniture while worth the effort, will only last for a season...
but spiritual cleansing could last for eternity.
Just as the sun has illuminated the hidden spots in my home that has accumulated dirt and dust, so too during this season of lent, I must let the Son illuminate the hidden places of my heart. Spiritual cleansing requires deep cleaning; it is housekeeping that goes beyond what others see and hear. It's a cleansing from within ~ inside and out.
When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer. Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD"—and you forgave the guilt of my sin.
~Psalm 32:3-5
Weeds, dirty laundry, piling dishes, dust collecting...this is life
after the Fall.
Yet, in small ways, I return to Father and the Perfect Time Before when I order, wash away, sweep clean...beating back the chaos, the powers of destruction. Is this housework a picture of entering into Redemption? To bring restoration to that which has fallen?~Ann Voskamp
I want to scour, scrub, sweep... slow down the power of destruction on my heart. But I can't clean myself. Instead I must draw near to God and ask Him to do the cleansing.
Let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water.
~Hebrews 10:22
I scrub windows wanting more of Him. Continually letting the light of God's presence shine into every part of this temporary home, will negate need for a yearly spiritual cleaning. Instead I desire the experience of a daily, moment to moment basking in His Spirit.
Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
~Psalm 51:10
It is with renewed energy that I eagerly throw open windows to air out this home~fresh breeze from the Source of Truth chases out rotting stench of self, and pity. Truth blows through cool and fresh on the face of heart permeating nooks and crannies, giving life-altering perspective, excitement and joy, removing accumulated garbage from the mind.
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
~Romans 12:2
Minds and spirits need to be filled with the Word of God instead of the garbage of this world. It is the light of his Word that illumines and roots out that which needs to be exposed. Reading Scripture daily is the way to clean up and freshen the heart and mind. Scripture is the best way to get to know Jesus. It’s a daily discipline...
like taking out the trash.
Rugs in high traffic areas pick up all manner of dirt from the outside. Entryway floor coverings are hauled exhuberantly to washing machine, where buttons are punched starting vigorous cycle...dislodging bad habits stubbornly clinging underneath, out of sight, mindlessly swept under rug during winter's half-hearted cleansing, waiting to reveal themselves next year...
or tomorrow.
Next comes the painful removal of... closet clutter. Row upon row of bad attitudes, self-indulgences , anxiety all layered with general fatigue have taken up space that joy and thankfulness should be occupying. It's time to get rid of this jumble...
That which I once considered fashionable is outdated or doesn't fit anymore. It needs to be removed, given away, exchanged to make room for that which is important.
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."
~Phillipians 4:8
I save for last, the dusting of shelves up high.
He meets me in this newly created space. Continual prayer now fits comfortably, no longer competing with that which distracts, allowing mind to keep focused on "these things"...
and the wonder of Him.
And now, maybe finally... this house, this heart, is cleaned a bit ... deeper.
For you have rescued me from death; you have kept my feet from slipping. So now I can walk in your presence, O God, in your life-giving light.
~Psalm 56:13
Men compare themselves with men, and readily with the worst, and flatter themselves with that comparative betterness. This is not the way to see spots, to look into the muddy streams of profane men’s lives; but look into the clear fountain of the Word, and there we may both discern and wash them; and consider the infinite holiness of God, and this will humble us to the dust.
~Robert Leighton (A Puritan Golden Treasury)
Always Seeking Higher Ground,
Nora

No comments:
Post a Comment